Money, Money, Money

Welcome Back!

This week I decided to dive into the teaching of money. I am targeting second grade this week and how to teach them the concept of money.

Money is going to be used in a person's everyday life, and teaching students the basics young will allow them to have more comfortability as they build on the concept. To children money might not seem like a big concept, they might need a few dollars to buy ice cream at lunch or to figure out how many books they can get with $20 at the book fair.

Beginning with a refresher, helping students identify bills and coins and how much they are worth.  Here are some worksheets to refresh their money minds.



Just something quick and will get their minds thinking about money


They are then moving on to word problems. According to Common Core Standard 2.MD.C.8, students will be able to solve word problems about dollar bills and coins, while using the symbols $ and c(cents) appropriately.

Here are some worksheets to get them going with the word problems


Money is such an important concept for children to learn and understand. It is used in just about everything, children will begin to realize that they are these word problems. If I have $200.00 and I need $175.00 for bills how much would i have left to spend on gas? This only sets children up for better financial planning and budgeting skills as they get older.

Here are some extras to help your future students really grasp the concept of money
 



Until week!

Comments

  1. Hey Kelsie!

    One thing I've noticed about education is how many people our age say they wish they had been taught financial literacy in school...and yet today, they're taught even LESS about money! It's a necessary life skill to understand money and the value of different coins to be able to create a budget, know how much cash you need to give a cashier, and be able to ensure you got the correct change back.
    Despite the importance of learning about money, kids today have such a hard time grasping the value of different coins and how to use them to create different combinations to find the most efficient one. I love that you included a refresher that has students identify the coin and it's value. The carnival food worksheet is so creative and cute, and I like how it has different menu items and asks the students to work with a specific coin for each one (my kids love to say 88 pennies when I ask them what coins I can use to make 88 cents and it drives me nuts!).

    Nice job!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelsie,

    I love your post. I remember being a tutor for a child in the 4th grade and she really had a hard time with understanding money. She used to tell me that the easiest coins to remember was a quarter and a penny becausea quarter is the biggest coin and the penny is the only brown coin of all the coins. I would explain it to her and she would be set with it and then the following week when I would try to tutor her again she would have forgotten it all over again. I truly wanted her to grasp the material because money his something that we need in this world to survive and she needed to understand how much change she was getting back or how much money she was giving to someone. Your Carnival Food worksheet would have been great materials to include during my tutoring sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelsie,

    Great post!!! I have been a para for five years and I have observed hundred of hours of lessons of mathematics that will never be used in life. I feel students need to learn basic life math such as money, balancing a checkbook, loans, percentage and rates. However, I seen none of that. How will we ever have a world without debt, if students throughout school are never taught consumer mathematics. I remember in high school dropping sequential mathematics to take consumer mathematics. It was the best decision I ever made.

    On another note, I think your choice of worksheets are fantastic. I especially love the carnival worksheet, the word problem worksheet, and the anchor chart on how to count coins.

    Again, great job!!

    Regards,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment