Skip to main content

Shape of You

Welcome back!

I hope everyone has had a good week. For this weeks post I will be talking about first-grade math, but precisely, shapes.

As silly as this may sound shapes are actually essential to know. Int first grade students are given the foundation and basic knowledge of shapes such as sides, classification, and the beginning of their geometry journey.


The common core standards provide three standards to target when dealing with first-grade geometry:

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.1
Distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size); build and draw shapes to possess defining attributes.


CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.2
Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.1
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.G.A.3
Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halvesfourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half offourth of, and quarter of. Describe the whole as two of, or four of the shares. Understand for these examples that decomposing into more equal shares creates smaller shares.


To build on what they have learned in Kindergarten and maybe in PreKindergarten You could start off with some worksheets on shape identification, One game that we play a lot in my classroom is called "tell me about it" where the student has a simple picture of an object (this week we did animals) and they tell you everything they see in the picture such as the shape, the color (if you want to add color), sides, how the sides are, is it a curve are there more than three sides, four? It all depends on how much detail you would like them to give you and how much reviewing a student might need. Or you could have students work on a quick worksheet like those pictured below:




It is mentioned in the standards that first graders will learn about 3-D shapes. as the educator you can use these worksheets to segway into the topic of 3-D shapes and that there are 2-D and 3-D shapes. 

To help Students understand the difference between 3-D and 2-D, you as the educator could show a square and then show them a cube, helping them make real-life connections to the different dimensional shapes could help them grasp the concept better. When it comes time looking into the 3-D shapes individually, this worksheet could help you help your students make connections about what they can do. What child wouldn't want to be a shape detective and play around with 3-dimensional shapes?





Until next week! 
I need to go listen to some Ed Sheeran 

Here is a poster to help students and their shape characteristics: 

Comments

  1. First of all I love the title Kelsie! I also think this is such an important topic that seems simple, but so crucial for students to know. I have been teaching art for all grade levels Pre-K thru 5th and I really find that shape work is so great with Pre-K and Kindergarten. They seem to really enjoy this area as well! I like your shape hunt, this seems like an activity the kids would love. I also really liked how you included the difference between 2D and 3D shapes- that was something I had honestly forgotten about! Great job Kelsie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post Kelsie! Learning shapes can be challenging for so many children and you have chosen some great resources for your students. I too had also forgotten about knowing the concepts between 2D and 3d shapes so that information was nice to see. My favorite was the Shape Hunt activity though. This is a way for students to see the shapes we are teaching them in relation to real life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment