Patterns in Powers of 10

WELCOME BACK!

So this week I thought I would break out of my comfort zone and look into a math concept for out fifth-grade level students. I felt that the most important thing that our fifth-grade friends should really have a grasp of is the patterns in the powers of 10.
What is that? This basically is finding connections with our ten powers.
For instance, if we multiply 3x10 or 10x10x10, we would get an answer of 1,000, but we also know that when we are dealing with powers, we refer to the question as 10^3 (ten to the third power).

Here is the Khan academy post that I found that I thought would help explain this topic to you and maybe to your future students,

Khan Academy

To help you with this topic, here is the Common Core standard that would be met in this particular Unit.

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.5.NBT.A.2
Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10, and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10. Use whole-number exponents to denote powers of 10.


While looking for activities and more of a fun and hands-on way of explaining and practicing this content i found these task cards. They seemed simple but also required the student to think about what they need to do. 



I then found fun games such as:




Also, I found these neat cheat sheets or possible anchor charts, that could be of use to help your students remember the concept of Patterns in ten powers,

Until next week!

Comments

  1. Please don't mind the spaces, the pictures didnt want to cooperate with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsie! I really liked this post, I also tend to stay away from 5-6th grade topics, since they are getting into a little bit more advanced math. I really like the powers of 10 flash cards, because they have clear instructions for the students. I love the slides and ladders game, as well, it seems to be a great concept teaching game ( I loved chutes and ladders as a kid!) Great post and thank you for sharing, as this is important for students to know before they advance into more complicated math problems!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment