Fra/cti/ons

Hey guys,

This week I decided to start the blog off with fractions. I'm thinking of doing this topic for a couple of posts, to not only help myself refresh but to understand it better. When I was in school fractions was one of my biggest enemies (other than math itself!), So I felt that a refresher with fractions would be an easy way to get this math party started.

Quick Question!
If you are at a party and there are 12 friends there and its time to eat cake how many slices would they need to cut the cake into? How many slices would be left after you received your piece? After six friends got theirs?
             So this was a simple question to get out fraction juices flowing, we would need 12 pieces of cake, there would be 11/12 left of the cake (who only takes one slice of cake?!) and jokes on the question because I would be eating six slices, not my friends... just kidding but that would be 6/12 or 1/2 after six friends got cake.

Fractions are used more than a student might think. For instance baking and cooking, we need to know fractions for measurements and for how much of the food we are sharing amongst friends. Fractions are also used with money.  Now what child doesn't love food or money, I sure do.

 So here are some activities to do with students (spoiler! they are both food related, so make sure you are not hungry when doing them.)

M&M Activity

Pizza Activity

** I, for some reason was having a hard time figuring out this link thing, bear with me


Making a recipe or even a pizza could be a fun way to allow your students to understand the everyday use of fractions and for them to be proud of thier product.

But, if you need to start at the beginning here is an anchor chart that could be used to explain the basics of fractions. (but the best way to explain it is with pizza or cake..)

Anchor chart:


I am excited to go on this fraction journey, but first I need to eat all this talk about pizza and cake has made me hungry. HEY! I could use fractions while I portion the food.. or I could swallow it whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money, Money, Money