Multipli*cation

Hey Everyone! 

So, this week I planned on taking it back to the basics of multiplication for our future second-grade teachers. 

According to standard 2.OA  of the NYS Common Core Learning Standards in Mathematics children will: 

Work with equal groups of objects to gain foundations for multiplication.

3. Determine whether a group of objects (up to 20) has an odd or even number of members, e.g., by pairing objects or counting them by 2s; write an equation to express an even number as a sum of two equal addends.


4. Use addition to find the total number of objects arranged in rectangular arrays with up to 5 rows and up to 5 columns; write an equation to express the total as a sum of equal addends.

To me, this seems vague to an extent. Teaching multiplication makes me look back to when I was learning it. My teachers provided us with worksheets and little tricks to remember specific times tables, for instance, the finger trick when working with the 9's times tables. 

This website offers some tricks and tips when teaching multiplication:


or use this cute picture to help your students understand what to do


But in all seriousness, multiplication could be a little tricky for students to grasp. I know that I had a difficult time with some multiplication expressions. In fact, it is a challenge for me right now to try and explain it in this post.

But multiplication is just repeated addition. We have our "groups of" and how many times that group happens.

For example, You go to the donut shop before work, you buy 2 donuts for each visit. You visit 5 days a week. 

That would put us at 5 groups (each day you visit the shop) times the 2 donuts you got each day. 

five groups of 2 
5*2=10
5+5=10

All this donut talk is making me hungry, but I hope this helps with getting the foundation started with multiplication. 

Here are some extra resources to further your teaching: 







Until next week! 


Comments

  1. Hey Kelsie,
    I really liked the cute worksheet that you found. I think that sometimes teachers forget that they didn't know everything. Every little trick of the trade is helpful in giving students the confidence and the tools to handle multiplication. It may not be something that they get right away, but with practice it should become easier. It is so important as it a big component of higher level mathematics. It was funny you mentioned the finger trick. I learned my 9 times tables straight up, but for my daughter the finger trick was necessary. Not all students are the same. As educators, we need to be able to help everyone feel successful because that will promote engagement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Money, Money, Money