We will round you

So this week I heard a lot of songs that had round in the name, Flo Rida's Right round was one of them so this fantastic idea of covering rounding this week popped into my head.

Rounding is a third-grade math topic, but to start let's get some fun music going.


If we are starting with basics, our third-grade students should:

"Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100." (CCSS 3.NBT.A.1)

Rounding is a life skill; I would like to think. It is needed as an estimate maybe one day you will be throwing a party, and 55 people say they are coming, but you want some extra food to be available so we would move it to the nearest tenth, making it 60 people.

But what third grader is worried about hosting a party, to make it relatable you could make an example using, well honestly I'm not sure what third graders are into these days so that might have to be up to your discretion.

I liked this anchor chart that could help students to grasp the idea of rounding further.





I was also thinking that this could be made into an activity, having the students create their personal rounding coaster for their reference. I am a big believer of things sticking better when you are hands-on with learning it.

But that is just with rounding to the nearest tenth. If we wanted to push our students further and get their little rounding brains turning, we could have them begin to round to the nearest 100th.

Here is an anchor chart that could help you with your students in doing that:




Comments

  1. Hi Kelsie!

    I remember when I was younger, rounding numbers was so confusing to me. I never understood why we were changing the number or which number to round them too. I was constantly asking for help, and even when shown examples and explained how to do it, I never could grasp the concept. Knowing the definition of rounding is key!!!! The rounding coaster is not only amazing to look at, but it is simple and makes so much sense. These different charts are so beneficial to students. I feel as if many students are visual learners, and if they had these charts as references, whether at home or next to them at their dest, they would be able to look back and reflect if they needed help.

    I also LOVE how you began this blog. Music is a fabulous choice when beginning a new lesson especially with the younger ones, constantly engaging them to the new topic.

    Great work!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsie, I love that you are incorporating popular songs with teaching topics that can be difficult to students. It’s a neat to think that in 20 years the students are going to be at a wedding or listening to the radio and suddenly be thinking back to your class and rounding numbers and doing fractions. Rounding is definitely a lifelong skill and your example of needing to have enough food for 55 people so rounding it up to 60 to make sure there is enough was a fantastic example. I totally agree with your comment “of things sticking better when you are hands-on with learning it.’ I’ve found it true with both myself and my kids. Thanks for your great post!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Money, Money, Money