Graphs (Picto&Bar)

Hello there, Welcome back!

I am going to just jump right in with this weeks post.

In elementary school one of my favorite topics were graphs, it was so much fun to see the visual representation of data even if its just silly data about favorite TV shows or sports teams. Kids love that stuff. I have found that children love to talk about themselves and to tell the world their likes. So this week I want to go back to second grade and to look at two types of graphs (I know there are more). We are going to look at Pictographs (picture graphs) and bar graphs.

Here are the Common Core Standards that would be covered in this lesson:

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.1
Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.D.9
Generate measurement data by measuring lengths of several objects to the nearest whole unit, or by making repeated measurements of the same object. Show the measurements by making a line plot, where the horizontal scale is marked off in whole-number units.

CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.D.10
Draw a picture graph and a bar graph (with single-unit scale) to represent a data set with up to four categories. Solve simple put-together, take-apart, and compare problems1 using information presented in a bar graph.

Now for the fun stuff, 

Pictographs are graphs that are represented by pictures. The title of the graph could be "Our favorite Animals," and after surveying the class and finding out that cats, dogs, and fish were the three topic answers, students can then figure out the number of peers that like cats, and dogs, and fish. Once they know 6 like cats, 3 like dogs, and 4 like fish they can represent each animal with a picture of that animal. 


Here are some examples of activities/ topic ideas:


Bar graphs, on the other hand, are the same as picture graphs but not as fun, we don't get to use pictures to represent what is being shown. But it doesn't mean that the topics can be as engaging.

Here are some Bar Graph examples: 


(I know the Gummy Bear Graph has a tally graph but that can easily be changed to a bar graph, and as shown you can have your students show it as a pictograph as well.) 


Until next week, 
Have fun graphing! 

Comments

  1. I loved graphs in elementary school too! I love to implement my creative side in anyway I can in any work I do and I think this can certainly be implemented throughout multiple subjects in the classroom. After Dr.V's lesson on collaboration and cooperative learning in the classroom, I think this could also be a fun way for the class to engage with each other and learn new things about each other. This could be implemented into a problem solving based lesson and learn different ways to have the graphs stand out from one another. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelsie!

    I absolutely love doing graphing activities with my kids! It really helps them feel connected to our math lesson when they get to see THEIR opinion or tally up on the graph. I like incorporating a quick graph into our morning message (allow students to draw a tally next to their favorite food, number of pets, etc) as they come into the classroom and then we discuss and graph it during morning meeting. Kids come in excited to learn and love seeing the different representations of our class' opinions and surveys. I like how one of your worksheets has a bar graph completed and asks students to answer questions about it, as that seems to be one of the trickier parts of graphing for younger students.

    Nice job!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Money, Money, Money