Lets Add'em Up
Hey guys, Welcome back!
This week we are taking a dive into the first-grade common core standards, and I thought i would use my concept teaching game to help me out this week.
With this whole time change a review of basics was needed, not sure why but this week I'm feeling fresh and new. So the topic this week is addition, more specifically addition of one-digit numbers. Even though we are looking more at the one digit side of the addition, these resources can be modified and used for two and maybe three-digit numbers.
Here are the Common Core Standards to help us get an idea of what we are looking at:
*Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.


This week we are taking a dive into the first-grade common core standards, and I thought i would use my concept teaching game to help me out this week.
With this whole time change a review of basics was needed, not sure why but this week I'm feeling fresh and new. So the topic this week is addition, more specifically addition of one-digit numbers. Even though we are looking more at the one digit side of the addition, these resources can be modified and used for two and maybe three-digit numbers.
Here are the Common Core Standards to help us get an idea of what we are looking at:
*Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
*Add and subtract within 20.
*Work with addition and subtraction equations.
So without further adieu my concept teaching game (cut down to leave out the not so fun stuff),
JENGA: THE ADDITION EDITION
TIME TO PLAY!
WHAT YOU NEED!
Jenga
Painters tape/ Post-its
Additions problems
How to Play:
1. Before students play the game, you will need to write the addition equations on the painter's tape/post-it note and stick it at the end of the jenny pieces(the parts that are sticking out towards the children)
2. This game is played just like Jenga but with a catch, so then explain to students how to play Jenga.
3. Before students can remove a Jenga block, they must work out the equation to find the sum
(Source for the game:)
This weekend is also St. Patrick's day so here are some fun worksheets to do with your kiddo's!


Have a great time adding it up in the classroom and may the luck of the Irish be on your side!


I love jenga and think this is the best idea ever. I definetely saved this one as my favorite. It is such an engaging and fun game. My 2 and 5 year old love to play it. I think is an awesome idea to make it challenge and applying so math to it.
ReplyDelete